Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Motivation after the big moment

After I completed my first triathlon, I went through this feeling. Once the excitement of all you accomplished with competing in the race goes away, its hard to get back in that groove of working out five to seven times a week.
This is the first week since my race that I've really felt good about my workouts. Maybe part of that was because you need some recovery time, but also I think it's hard to start up on training.

Last week I did swim twice and rode my bike once and ran once, but I didn't feel strong during any of the workouts. I kept getting stomach aches/cramps during my swims, my legs were just exhausted during the bike ride and I felt nauseous during my run (in which I only lasted 23 minutes). My allergies were bugging me all week so I thought that might be why I wasn't feeling great.

However, this week I'm doing good so far! I swam 2,000 meters on Monday and felt strong. Only took a couple breaks, which is a huge improvement from the beginning of summer when I was taking breaks after every 100 or 200 meters! I feel like I've increased my endurance in training this summer more than any other summer training for triathlons, and its a great feeling!

Today, since there was a monsoon in Champaign -- OK maybe that's a stretch, but there was a huge downpour -- I decided to head over to Cardinal Fitness and use the stationary bike. I set it at 7 for resistance and did a 40-minute random program. Then I hit the weights for some upper body toning -- biceps, triceps, shoulder and back. I hadn't done weights in months and so it was a challenge since my body wasn't used to those exercises anymore.

So far, so good this week! I'm hoping I can keep it up! I'm looking forward to next week when I'll be on vacation at the Lake of the Ozarks, so I can get more practice with open water swimming as I prepare for the Chicago Tri on Aug. 30th!

No comments:

Post a Comment