Monday, June 29, 2009

A new milestone

Last week I accomplished something I never dreamed I could -- I swam more than three miles! Monday I swam 2,000 meters, Wednesday 750 meters and Friday 2,500 meters! On Wednesday I went to Cardinal Fitness to sign up for a membership because I was sick of not getting any biking or running in because of the 90+ degree weather. So, after I signed up, I spent about 15 minutes on the stationary bike and then headed to the pool. When I got there the pool was packed, so I asked this older lady to share a lane with me, and she wouldn't share! I was like what?! I couldn't believe it... but luckily the guy in the next lane was just about to finish, so he let me take his lane. I got a good swim in, considering I didn't get there as early as I'd hoped, but when I was in the locker room, that same lady said "well you didn't get a long swim in today, huh?" Excuse me lady, who are you -- my MOM?! I just ignored her....

Tuesday I skipped working out because of the heat (this was before I got that pass at Cardinal), but Thursday I spent 45 minutes on the stationary bike at the gym and completed 10 miles with an average heart rate of 143 -- not too shabby! Saturday I went again, this time with my dad who also has a membership there, and did a 10-minute warm up on the eliptical, followed by a half hour on the bike. (I got lost in the magazine I was reading and forgot to check how many miles and average heart rate...oops.) I was really struggling to get through the half hour on the bike, though, and I think I might have pushed myself too hard Friday at the pool. Or maybe I was still dehydrated from that workout.

Saturday night was filled with some non-training fun! The family, Adam and I went out with Katie, Josh and the rest of the Wetzel clan to celebrate Katie's mom's 60th birthday at El Toro and then back to their house for cake and opening presents... just a great time celebrating with friends! :)

Now I'm in Elk Grove Village for the week and I'm looking forward to seeing the future in-laws later this week for 4th of July! Of course, I'll try to get some training in this week too! Today was a pretty nice day (minus the crazy wind) so I got out on the bike for a 7.2-mile bike ride and was zonked. Not sure if my body is still tired from last week's workouts or its allergies bothering me...

Tomorrow, I'm off to the pool for another swim!

No comments:

Post a Comment