Thursday, June 11, 2009

training plans

Since my last post last Tuesday, I've done two runs and two bike rides, but no swims. I've looked into getting a summer membership at IMPE at U of I, but for a non-student and non-alum, the prices are RIDICULOUS! So I'm looking at some other options....

I have been trying to get outside more (weather permitting) to build my endurance. Last week I went for a bike ride with Kyle and his girlfriend, Michaela, and we traveled on some of the bigger roads in champaign. It was a nice ride -- a medium intensity, but for a longer amount of time. We ended up riding for a little more than an hour. Not sure how many miles, but Kyle and I guessed it was between six and eight. I was little sore the next day, but nothing I couldn't handle! :) Average heart rate for this ride was 149.

Over the weekend, Adam came to visit me in Champaign and we went for another ride -- about 40 minutes, with a break after 20 to visit some friends. Unfortunately, my allergies were bothering me again and the rest of the day my right eye was bloodshot. Not fun. Still, it felt nice just to get outside and be on the bike. Average heart rate was 139.

This week, I've mostly been doing runs. On my last run, my heart rate average was 166, a lot better than that first run I had. Each time I head out on a run, I feel stronger than the last time, so I know I'm making improvements, even if they are tiny.

I'm finding that I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself this year with the race and disappointed in where I'm at in my training. With the triathlon in just a month, I'm not feeling that I'm far enough in my training to be where I want to be by race day. I'm looking at some other triathlons to compete in later in the summer so I can use this race as a practice for whichever other one I pick.

Training for triathlons does make you challenge yourself physically, but I think its the mental road blocks you have to conquer that are most important. In my personal experience, I've found triathlons to be similar to the mentality of yoga -- you have to accept yourself for where you are in your training/practice and always look to improve. If you start to beat yourself up over how you should be better, stronger, faster, you really will only hinder your progress. This is something I struggle with nearly everyday, but with enough practice, I'm hoping I can conquer the mentality that I should set realistic goals and reach for them, while recognizing my limitations.

With that said, I'm hoping I can increase my training over the next few weeks so I feel confident to race on July 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment